Friday, November 16, 2012

SO New York

I love New York City. It's always been a special place for me.

It was the first Other Big City I experienced. I went with my mother when I was 8 to see Copelia in NYC.  We stayed at the Westbury Hotel on Madison Avenue.  She bought me a new dress at Saks Fifth Avenue.  Oh, my!!

The city of my 4 college years. Weekly trips into New York for my cello lessons.
 Signe Sandstrom, my teacher, gave me lessons in her apartment near Carnegie Hall,
Two apartments of my brother, Michael. One on 101st street and one on Horatio Street in the East Village. And Annie & Bob up in Morningside Heights for a year or so.
Visiting and staying over at friend's apartments.

And now New York is my college reunion base, my friend-visiting place, my art-seeing place.  I love its openness, richness, the fact that it 'works' in all its complexity, and the amazing depth of its culture.

So here goes. These photos are for me soooooo New York. At the Guggenheim was a show of Picasso drawings. Both George & I had negative feelings about Picasso-the-man, as shown through his work. Definite misogyny there!


We went for our usual walk on the Skyline-- a garden walkway on an old El line on the lower west side where good foliage was starting to happen.

Life imitating art!!

                          New York is so good at making fire-escapes & trash on the sidewalk!! 


There are many great street scenes.


Special collections: this one at the American Folk Art Museum [where I always visit] about glitter, shininess, & tin foil.



Some one who catches my eye who I wonder about...



There are street after street of specialized businesses


And art, art art!! I fill up!


I also fill up on seeing old friends. 

That's it for now.

                                                                    


                                                         




















1 comment: