Saturday, January 11, 2014

From the Shadows

These are the dark days & so when shadows happen there is excitement. Me & some special
photos. 
                        

In both cases the light is bouncing off apartment windows across the park from us. 
In the dark days the only sunlight we get is reflected.

Recently I saw this: What a profusion of shapes!

I seem to gravitate towards these... a special kind of 'selfie'.



I love this umbrella in a lunchtime garden in Kahalui.

 Interference patterns: fence, shadow, & sand ripples... also on Maui.

I love the distortion of glass, condensation, reflection, & shadow.

This wall sculpture in Mary Price's home is greatly enhanced by shadows during the day.

I love the ambiguity of some shadows......and the clarity of others.
 In our apartment this the best shadow wall.


When you see repeated shapes it means there is a pin-hole effect with light coming through trees. 


A paper-cutting artist's work threw wonderful shadows. Beautiful things make beautiful shadows.


                            I have taken many photos of glasses. Simple, ordinary & shapely.


The next one is super ambiguous.

Oh, my, I'm having trouble "reading"this photo. The arm clues me into the shadow on a white shirt.

From my garden looking into the living room. Shadows & reflections.

I have a transparent clock & transparent calendar. One rare day I saw this. I had to move fast, because shadows come & go!

Shadows have had life long fascination for me. In my thirties I published a book called Shadow Geometry. It's for kids & it's basically about projective geometry (though I never say that). The book is still sold in China-- it was translated. Twice a year I get a very small (or sometimes surprisingly large) royalty check.

That's it for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment