Saturday, October 11, 2014

First Week on Maui--2014

It's interesting coming back to Maui after a year. A few things have changed, but nothing drastic.

Photography themes emerge: vegetation, windows, art seen, & revisiting 3 of my past quilts. 

These are quilts that wound up in the home of Sal & Jobst, our Vancouver-now-Maui friends where we are staying.
This first was made with a paste-resist technique.


The one below I call Loving Hands.
I carved stampers of my hand & George's. The other stamps were made in India.

The next one is hung in a doorway so you can see front & back. This was made during my Stripes Period.

We went to a few galleries. Here are my favorites items.
The first is made with mostly vegetable fibers, echoing clothing.


Another shape to adore.

These are 3 nestling jars. They conform a bit to the neighborly shape.
                                                  Tapas paper.

An amazing necklace.
The jewelry was made of this fern that I had just noticed...& I've been coming to Maui for 10 years!

                                             Structures made from Maui plant life



 Rosamar & Sabina came for a visit. We went to see this sculpture two years ago. It's aged.

                                    Here's a very Maui version of plant opportunism.
Below, a schefflera tree, natives called the octopus tree because of this flower which does go soft after a bit, a bugged tree & banyon tree air roots.


...banana tree delightful & fashionable shagginess...

....windows... one morning from my bed...

                                                                A great Junk Shop

 

I must end with a new clothesline photo. I collect clotheslines: cloth, shape, & linearity.
Those are banyon tree roots in the foreground.
That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment