Friday, February 6, 2015

Clothing & Cloth in Kyoto

I am writing this quick entry in the last hour of my stay in Kyoto...
....or so I thought...
Blog entries take careful thought & crafting.
No hour-long job, at least, not for me.

This first piece is by a technique called katazome. It's very like batik, except the resist is not wax but a rice paste. It is applied to the cloth by stencil and a stiff brush with the paste on it. This was then indigo dip dyed several times with drying in between dippings..

I was so happy to come to Japan because of textiles.
I have worked in indigo & know some of the Japanese traditions. 
Some of these were invented by other cultures. How marvelous is that? I do marvel at it.

So photos of the cloth & clothing I saw here.

So let's start with doorways... many restaurants have these cloths... & some businesses...



...then there are clothes... oh my!!...







...I'll take ANY or all of those scarves at Narita Airport!...
...the shop people are so unhappy seeing me take these photos!

Near the Bamboo Forest, at the station was a Kimono Forest...

 This next section is from textile art students...







Then the Kyoto Shibori Museum... bringing tie-dyeing to a high art.... over the top beautiful!! First, their poster...


...below...from the student show... micro view... this is a salt technique... one grain of salt will push away the dye... 
The many suspended panels... so lovely!!

And below, a silk screen left over from a print job.

...That's it for now...

5 comments:

  1. Such beautiful fabrics and so great to see what caught your artist's eye. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious.
    My very favorites, in case you want to know, are the kimono for 15,800 and the poster for the art show--those are the ones that jumped out at me most.
    Starting get a more developed taste of what you saw. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our own Bill Cunningham of the Kyoto street fashions and juxtaposition of the old and new. Lovely collection of textile use and ideas—and a feast for the eyes of those of us who appreciate textiles even if we don't work in them. Fresh vision! And love that photo of you taking the photo of the kaki-coloured oren (fourth image)

    ReplyDelete