Friday, November 18, 2016

A Light Year of Textile Work

I have been in resting mode. 
No big project, show to prepare for, & I'm wondering what next?

"Next" turned out to be seeing some seeds of ideas & enlarging on them. Nothing I've made has been big, 'super-new', or astonishing. So here goes.

This was the seed if an idea, leftovers from an earlier project.  It grew to this:                           





And finally ended with this [before it was quilted by machine].

A gateway.
This beginning grew...

 to become...


It's curious to me that I have no 'photo finish' of these two! The one above is not successful, I think. Maybe that's why.
This seedling...turned into...





































Window-like.  This one below
 became...


It's not quilted up yet, & this isn't the final image. 

I generally work improvisationally, not planning out in advance what the final piece will look like. This is why seeds are important!

This year has also brought me in contact with work I did a long time ago.


This mixed-media piece, quite small, I had given to a friend. I hadn't thought about it for years, so that was a jolt to revisit it.

In the 1990s I made an AIDS quilt with a central panel painted by Stephen Denslow & encircled by his poetry. The quilt was given to Dr. Peter's parents for Dr. Peter House. It's awol now, maybe passed on by them to the AIDS Quilt Collection. 


I wish I had taken a better picture of it.
In Arlington Virginia hangs a quilt I gave to a friend.

During the year I have collected some images that delight me. First  a collection of circles....























Above, the first of 4 large pieces, installations, really.

































































My niece, Faith, made a fox quilt. Here are some examples of her amazing embroidery.
              
My inner Frida Kahlo is telling me I must end this way. 
This year in selfies or asked-fors!! Here goes!
                           

                          

That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. I very much like the first and the very red stripey pieces. I am excited to see them in person before too long!
    Still very impressed by Faith's needlework. Wowee.

    ReplyDelete