Monday, November 12, 2018

Borrowing Images from Others, part 1

There was a general rule when I was growing up, that stealing ideas from others for your own art work was evil, wicked, or even cheating.  But this is so silly. It's been going on for a long time. Lots of great artist have done it.




First of all, not that this such a big ripped off idea, but more like an inspiration, the pavings, as I looked down at ancient marble at the Acropolis were my inspiration.                                          

                                               
This quilt I made upon my return from Athens, using cloth from my scrap bags. Here it is partly quilted up.

Recently, going through some photos from 2013, I found an image of a knitted pillowcase that had intrigued me. I stole the image holus-bolus, though I made a few changes as needed.

This fit in oh-so-nicely with another arresting moment on that same trip, also very square/cubed out on a marshy bit on the high prairie.
What the hell??
?why?what?how?who?

At the National Gallery in Ottawa in 2014I saw a wonderful series of 4 paintings, & this was one of them. It was accompanied with 3 similar paintings of lips, vulvas & penises. 
What a foursome!


So this is my copy, as I was working it up.
Breasts!

In Bali there were amazing triangular banners.



They were the inspiration for some long triangular work. 
I never thought the one below was particularly successful. This 2nd one was a lot more coherent, I think.

Many years ago one of my teachers,Nancy Crow, introduced me to a black American southern artist named Anna Williams. I never met Anna, but I got to see her work online, in a book, & know some about her story. 
I actually bought & returned a quilt of hers, seen below.
It was wonderfully free.
And I copied the spirit of it.

That's for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment