Tuesday, September 10, 2024

September Pop-Up Show

 I have done much of this before. One of my favorite ways of showing my quilts is by hanging them so people can see them front & back. That's because in the making process I give  thought to the backs, so if they are hung on a wall people miss some of the fun.

My method involves trees, clothesline rope, clothespins [when I'm lazy], & no rain! Mild wind is also a big help. 

This is the grove of trees on the west side of George Wainborn Park. I live on the east side of it. You can see the clothesline ropes & the bamboo poles which keeps things from sagging too badly. There are four benches here where I sit & watch & when things were really slow I listened to my audio book [Moby Dick] or played games on my computer.

So this is a general front view of many of the quilts I hung.

 & the backs...


The quilts sorted themselves out as I hung them. These first were the "wordy ones". This one I call Black & White & Red All Over. It's about my love of handwriting. It's really just a quiltlet.

These two pieces are about all the ways I measure out my life. I posted about them in an earlier blog with the poem too with all the verses, if you want to read it.
Outdated Expressions was made on an old linen tea-table tablecloth.
& two details
Then there was a blue section. 
Just Eh-Symmetry

The Romance
Intentional Marks with Indigo. This is also a very small quilt & in this case the photo was taken with the light coming from behind it.
The 3-Color Problem
Summer's Arcs
That extra puckery look is because it is quite densely hand-quilted.

Then there was an orange section. 
Scraps on Saffron came into being from scraps on my work wall. I sewed them raw-edged  onto the saffron backing.
Hands & Feet, front & back
Fall Flair
Four-Patch Takes Flight
I especially like the detail of the quilting on the back of this one.
Then the Black & White section starting with My Paris Skirt, an Arrow & a Heart
with sunlight...
& the back
& with less sunlight
The quilt on the right I called Bee Bop & Dots. I find it so interesting how different a piece feels hung in another of 4 possible ways.
I know the different lighting makes it really hard to compare, but that's ok.

The Seed & the Meanders which I hung two different ways.
More L's, front & back
 
I had some company during my 2 days sitting out there. A handsome crow,
& some students who were working on a film ....
& some people who definitely were not working, well, maybe texting.

That's it for now.

















No comments:

Post a Comment