Monday, May 7, 2012

Days of Busy-ness & Collections

Maybe it was starting to tidy up my fabric room, maybe it was feeling all excited about the Westminster Abbey Church, maybe it was the the excitement of f.i.n.a.l.l.y working through the logistics of a few patches of my trip east, or maybe it was that I had a good workout today and the sun is shining. But today I have been high energy & continuing tidying, thinking ahead to new projects, &, oh joy, throwing somethings away.

I started the day with a trip around the house, camera in hand to show you the present group of house collections.  When we left 3675 15th Avenue, I retired a few of the collections, because, really, I had to make some room for George's collections. Some of that retiring was good & some a bit sad, but actually I don't have a lot of regret. 
The egg-beaters are still on display in full glory, each with a different gear or beater system. There are actually more than this!





14 number quilts so far have been safely& newly stored by a pins-into-the-wall system.

My thread spool jars & old box collection. The boxes for sewing things from 50 to more years ago. One of them is a Heminway Thread box that came from my grandma Garrison's sewing stuff. So very cool.

Collection of containers from many places & a Ganesh and a wonderful present Louise gave me for a birthday. A spiral clip holds her writing on a card that says: "Never interrupt when you are being flattered."  Man!! that got my attention! What a terrific birthday lesson!!
This shelving for cloth is now even neater!! Ooops, and I see one cubby I still haven't visited yet!! I wonder what it will reveal? I have two racks like this. My friend Peter thought I had a LOT of thread. I told him not compared to other sewers I know!!


Tubes & rods set in a really old & deep milk can. I also found the equipment I bought to make a new quilting frame. The frame I have been using I made in  1962 and the wood is very dry and giving me splinters! I think 283 quilts later I can indulge in making a new one without New England embarrassment!

Hodge-podge of shapes. My mother's skate blades, a great cello peg,  a great quote about change,  a stencil K & 3 collapsible yardsticks-- oh my!! That would make another great collection, yardsticks,  & collapsible & non......

Meanwhile downstairs...Blue vessels from George....

Favorite earthy, wood & clay, vessels from us both....

Mostly from Mexico trip in 2005.... and Joslyn's wonderful stone kneeling figures...


      Key collection. I love this fish! I call this an "embodiment": an animal that is useful!

My circle collection is dispersed when you consider the huge circle collection at 3675. I love all these plates. Italy, Spain & a Maine barn, the small ones.

So in the circle-collection vein a few more from upstairs....& my number stampers.

I'm going to use the number stampers for my next number quilt called The Look of Numbers. I'm just working out how I will execute this quilt. It will be the next-to-last in the series. The last one is the Colophon for my 'book of quilts'.

Oh yes!! I am almost ready to finish off the title quilt. It's now almost fully quilted.

That's it for now.







No comments:

Post a Comment