Thursday, June 26, 2014

Delights at the Library of Congress

Two days ago I went to the Library of Congress for the 2nd time.
George wanted to see the astonishing many-page map printed by Albrect Durer's shop in the 1500s. It's the first map that mentions the word "America" placed on a sickle-shaped South America.

But I wanted to be in the upper space closer to the amazing vaulted ceilings supported by ornate pillars & arches.
First the exterior...

...then the ceilings...






In this last photo stain-glass skylights.

The floors were pretty nice too.


In the Library are several exhibit spaces. A model of Jefferson's personal library with dummy books placed on the shelf for books they knew he had had. There are books written in English, Latin, Greek, & French. There maybe Hebrew & German also, for all I know. A true scholar, he was.

One other gallery had an exhibit of Persian books.
I did no reading of the accompanying signs. The visuals was all I sought.
And oh, my! what visuals.
I did struggle with lighting unevenness. Couldn't be helped.

I can't help myself from thinking about patchwork quilts, for the shapes, the balance, & the figures in the shapes have so much resonance for me.
The color palette feels Amish to me.

 This one I particularly love: Hebrew & Persian interlarded on gold.




 I love the chart below...





This one above feels very modern, but I can't be sure.

Such a pleasing experience!
Detail & delight everywhere.


That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment