Friday, August 19, 2022

Pillars & Totems, another quilty form

 I guess columns are, in design terms, even simpler than arrays. I have done many projects using this form.

Here is one called One-&-a-Half Red Dots. My keyboard won't let me write it the way I like to with the one over the two. 1/2 just doesn't cut it!! 



Butterscotch Totems was another.


This one I called Totems. I can see now that the elements are totemic, but not so much the overall form!

I also made some transparent totems in a very similar vein.

I have done a lot with confetti in my work. It must come from wanting to use up scraps. I wasn't born in New England, as a post WW2 baby for nothing! This one was called Rainbow Confetti.

Confetti with Bridesmaids had some of the same feel & is way more successful, I think now.

I did 3 waltz quilts. "Waltz" because they featured triangles, as in One, two, three, One, two three.

 
These three waltz quilts were made with home dyed-&-printed cloth, so here are three details.


Green Trees is very much in the same vein.

Red Veins [bleed] was very columnar, even if a bit wavy.

Occasionally I make "utility" quilts. This one was made with marvelous handwoven ikat cloth from Thailand. I used this quilt many, many times for naps.

One unusual quilt I made was inspired by very tightly braiding strips of white cloth together & dipping the braid into an indigo vat. The unbraided stops were sewn together & very pleasing pattern emerged.

Another simply structured quilt I made using "paste resist" [not wax resist that you may be familiar with in the look of batik.]

That's it for now.



















No comments:

Post a Comment