Friday, August 19, 2022

GRIDS/ARRAYS-- a standard "quilty" form

I am at a stage in my life where I review where the road has taken me.  Looking back at past blogs I realized that I haven't "covered" ones that are/were important to me.

So here is a batch of quilts I haven't "made public" in this particular way. I can't remember what I called this.     

                                                                                   & a detail with truer green color


I called this Winter Apples. I copied the form from an image of a beautiful African textile piece. And I wound up donating it to a young boy whose house had burned down in a summer fire in the interior of B.C. I loved the apple print border.

This next one has some "raw" appliqué. Little patches are added to the quilt top where the raw edges are visible. Conventially unconventional! Looking back, I don't recall what inspired this work, but I know it was done when I was experimenting with dyeing cloth.

I called this next one Summer Confetti. It was an incredible labor of love-- those borders!! It wound up being given to a couple getting married. That was very sweet to me. The confetti is in a very loose array.

Teapots with Music


Red Transparent Circles, a 3 x 3 array.
More Circles, this one Circles in Colors my Mother Loved

Red Circles

Up-Country Circles
A very recent circle quilt, Marimekko & Other Echoes.

Eleven Suits on a Green Field  
 I know, 11 is a prime number & doesn't lend itself well to an array! It's fudged.
 

Black Confetti
This quilt was part of a series of 4 in black, brown, tans & white, & is another confetti array.

Rose Lattice
I thought of this one as being a vivid mix of masculine & feminine.


For a project in art education at UBC I did some leafy projects.
Here's one, Spring Leaves. As I revisit it now I see the springs read way more clearly than the leaves!! The array is also mixed up a bit. The columns are truer than the rows.

Similarly Oak Leaves... same abandoning of formal arrays.

  Button Quilt was a small wall piece with hand-made paper from Paper Ya in Vancouver & shell buttons.

And other quilts based on  Paper Ya sheets.

The one below was treated with oilstick lines in red.


This one was with my home-made paper & hand dyed cloth. 
I called it The Coming of Aging.

That's it for now.













No comments:

Post a Comment