Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hoary bat surprise

The shift to Maui happened Monday evening. 

Crossing the water was for me better than usual. I worked on my writing, read a bunch from my new favorite book, Justice Older than Law, about the life of Dovey Roundtree, an important black civil-rights lawyer, slept and did a couple of Sudokus.

The first evening we were here I saw my first ever Maui bat, called the hoary bat because the tips of its fur are frost white.  This bat is one of two, only two, mammals indigenous to Maui. The other is the monk seal. That is something to think about! They think the bats were blown here a long time ago.

I was blown away that I has never seen this bat before, after all these years of coming here. I wondered about what might have shifted that I see them now.

We are most of the way settled in, George more than I. I haven't walked the beach yet, waiting for a good low tide with hard sand for my knee's welfare!

Meanwhile I am enjoying again the coconut palms. I LOVE the Moire effects that the palm spikes make with each other. I have many photos like this.


 Then there are the sunsets....SUBLIME colors.


                                                                That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment