Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Maui Sugar Mill

Zooks!! What a zone THAT SUGAR MILL is.

Yesterday George & I were taken to the site of the very first Library on Maui.
It is a very off road, quaint, very functional, 25-cents-a-book kind of place.
I bought a book for $2 and two books@ 25 cents.

But it wasn't the Maui Friends of the Library building that was so spectacular to me, but the road getting there that really caught my attention.

I was seeing a raw, gritty, dusty, and run down part of Maui that most visitors here never see nor want to see. The surrounds of the sugar mill, which is very active and productive, I find fascinating, wistful, and parts of it, sadly forgotten. It raises all the usual questions: what were things used for, why are they here now, and what will become of them???

Where to start?

Well, let's start with the numbers. I photographed quite a few. This is some kind of cane harvester. There are two drivers seats on the platform.


Other snapshots. Red is a frequent color with this company.


Then there's the category of vehicles: 
These are the very big haulers with the plant behind. I particularly enjoy the green barn up high!  There are discards too everywhere. I'm fond of the old golf carts.




These are the cut-cane haulers, I think. When I finally go to the Sugar Mill Museum I will learn more about what machinery I saw today.

The buildings....


 The sign is red with Maui dust! Two forms of corrugation!

An alley as rich in color as in Italy, but oh, such a different ambience.  Cascading roofs of the mill.



              The church for the mill community & all the earmarks of an outhouse. How forlorn is that?

The next batch: random & abandoned.



   Random wood.



Boxes of various kinds...


A francolin in the foreground of the lefthand image was discovered when I got home.

 That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Great shots. Reed and Max would really like the big dump truck picture printed! They love these mega trucks.

    ReplyDelete