Sunday, December 23, 2012

Triangles in the Key of Green

This blog & the next will be about process: making a quilt.
I've taken to making a photographic record of the evolution of the concept and the closing in on the final design. I give credit to Nancy Crow for that idea.  It's a way I can get perspective on how the idea looks at a bit of a distance, condensed by the photograph.

This idea for my quilt began a long time ago when I saw some one else developing a quilt with triangles and I thought it looked like fun. I made several starts & abandoned it several times....maybe I can't do this?...

And then, one day, going through stuff I came upon those beginnings. It's time to try again, I said. This idea still intrigues me.


Gradually I was learning how to make those apex points!!

So I settled on The Key of Green, and plowed ahead.




So some things needed to be decided: am I going to 'allow' sideways triangles or inverted [point down] ones?  I play around with that idea.

Finally I settled on layout. Basting, then machine quilting begins.
Machine quilting is not my comfortable zone yet. I regretted the thread & may start over. I found the quilting lines too intrusive!!


And then, up on a wall....
One of the things that really interests me are the rectangles of density created by color choices. Look lower right & there's one there.
I'm using flash and there are all kinds of problems with it!
What? Another learning zone?

That's it for now.
I guess I'm calling it Triangles in the Key of Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment