Thursday, December 27, 2012

Quilting: by machine or by hand?

Last March I machine quilted a piece in Maui. 
I didn't like the results.


Too uneven, too many unwanted wrinkles, my inner critic said.
SO, as I had wondered about tearing the stitches out & hand-quilting the piece, I decided to embark on answering that wonder.

It takes a while to pick out machine stitching. A seam-ripper is the tool & you have to be really careful not to cut the fabric, just the threads.

I decided to use the sewing lines I had made.
The little holes in the fabric were still visible.
That made it pretty easy.


I really like the difference!! 
Hand quilting is less linear & more dotty looking. And softer.
I was using electric light for these, not flash.
You can tell the light is on the left.... oh well....

Anyway, now I'm wondering about this partly quilted one. 
Will I'll re-do it?


                                                                         
                                                            That's all for now. 
                                                            Happy New Year!
ps: I didn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment