Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Going East Again

I was very nervous about being in New England in the Winter-- even for 6 days. I worried about driving dangers & getting caught in a blizzard. I needn't have.

The weather was sunny, crisp, and there was snow on the ground, & the roads were fine.

My decision to go was based on my offer to Sal Warren, my dear friend from babyhood days. Really! We were in diapers together when our parents were young marrieds & neighbors. Sal's son had died in mid-November. It was a terrible unexpected shock. She said she'd love to have me there to see her through the memorial gathering weekend.

I hadn't been in a New England winter since the sixtes. That's a lot of years ago. It was sublimely beautiful. 


I didn't do much photography, but I did stop to collect just a few shots of snow-on-roofs.





How could I resist?
When the snow comes off these metal roofs it is with a great thundering for those indoors. 

I also found my eyes gravitating towards pastels: particularly light aqua, light blue & pale yellow & peach,  peach like in this wonderful house:

I really want to try something in cloth with this palette.

And finally a wonderful Robert Frost that was read at the gathering:

Dust of Snow


The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I rued.


And Sam with his parents last year.


                                                        That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment