Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Nice Girls/ Good Women

When I was growing up there were a few things we were cautioned about.

"Nice girls do not boast."

One of the worst things you could say about a girl was, "She is so conceited." I never wanted that said of me! And I would say it of others with much scornful disapproval.

So doing a blog is a complicated thing for me because it really is a kind of boasting, & someone could say I am conceited. I worry I have put myself on that path. I talked with my sister Lynne today. She has the same problem. She doesn't dare price her paintings too high, lest someone think she is conceited! We had a good laugh about it.

I have to trust that I will not be "punished" for this blog entry for what might be seen as tooting my own horn too loudly.  

I believe this caution wasn't part of the boys' training, not the boys I grew up with. I think they must have been trained to toot their own horns. That's what their fathers did! Indeed, I believe the Women's Movement tried to undo some of that tendency! We Women tried to get Those Men to listen better & boast less.

So today, in honor of being brave & not shy or conceited or boastful, I thought I'd post some self-portraits that I have done in the last year or so. Just for fun! 








So tell me, what's the difference between conceit or boastfulness & the celebration of enjoyment of self?
That's it for now.

3 comments: