Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thanks to Susan Shie

Pronounced Shy.  Susan is legally blind, but my god, that girl can see & work in detail. I think of her as a seeing miracle. She has the affliction typical of "albinos".
And she has produced a huge body of work & writing on her quilts.  Her quilts mix social commentary & family history. She is, I believe, a living treasure. I've told her all this so she can just feel happy all over again! I love this one of the Magical Cupboard of Loving World accompanied by  the Pie of Precious Peace & Big Duck Full of Understanding.
And lots of glitz.
We're going to need some help if we are getting to the loving world, even glitz.

Susan told us these colors weren't true, but you get the idea. This is about her can named Maggie who died and who obviously attained sainthood.

And this one is about her home town in Ohio. She put all her favorite business on one convenient street and placed the real map in the center.

You can see more of her work and catch more of her style and humor & true political grit by going to her website:  www.turtlemoon.com

That's all for today, though I could gush for a long time about how much that workshop was for all of us 11 lucky people.

3 comments:

  1. I now want to be a Big Duck Full of Understanding. How great.
    I'm thankful that you shared that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Big Duck is worth the whole piece. I mean, having grown up being teased as Daffy Duck... If they had just called me Big Duck Full of Understanding I would now be less neurotic.... or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Daphne. You are so kind and make me feel so good! Thank you for writing about our class at Maiwa!

    I am home in Ohio now, nesting with my Jimmy and our cats and Libby Spooler, our Doodle. So good to come to Vancouver, for the first time in my life, and to have such wonderful appreciation for what I have to share.

    I miss you, my table mate! Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete