Saturday, September 17, 2011

yesterday's question

so my amusing thought/question yesterday was: from guilt to quilt...or...from quilt to guilt?

i realized that i come down on the quilt to guilt side
this is because of my puritanical/new england upbringing where there was a strong expectation that your life be worthwhile, socially beneficial, & not frivolous.
is making art, which is so much fun, frivolous & without social value?
i can easy argue myself out of this silly thought/question & often do, but it does still lurk


i made my first quilt top in 1960
10 years of 3 sisters making clothes in the 1950s gave me ample material
i put the quilt top on an eiderdown and backed it


my chicago cat peed on it & i hung it out my 4th story window hoping to air the smell off
but being in chicago the wind carried it off onto the street below & i clearly remember thinking to myself that i would just let it go. of course now i rue that decision.

each quilt has a story
last night i heard a new chapter
one of my quilts got laundered and it ran like crazy
the owner was mortified as if she had done something wrong
but i knew that i was the guilty one
clearly i hadn't properly rinsed my dye work before starting the quilt
i send her home with sintropol soap and new directions
& my abject apology.....quilt to guilt struck again


i close with a guilt-free quilt from april 2010
.....the work on my work wall and the other shots are details showing the quilting details...



this project started with a b/w study that was way more complex & then reduced because it was giving me too many headaches in piecing

oh struggle memories!
 

best of all i prefer from quilt to quilt
just make more

that's it for today
i made it to the end w/o being wordwiped by blogspot

No comments:

Post a Comment