Sunday, March 3, 2013

Textile work -- 2 Months of Work & 4 Quilts Later

I went to Vermont on January 3, which feels now like a long time ago. In the time since I got back I worked on 4 different pieces. Vancouver, though very different from Vermont has lots of winter grays, whites, & blues which is what completely captivated me & carried forward the impulse.

This quartet of work is really a symphony rather than work in a theme & variations. I focused on color range. The variation was not about form, line, or shape.


I'll give you, to start with some of the instigations.

The orange that came to me was a bit too strong.Work wall progress. 


Then....
This fabric was in a front panel of a dress that I wore in 1958, June, to my brother's wedding. The dress was bought at the Window Shop in Cambridge, near the Brattle Theatre & Design Research. All three of these places were in the center of my Cambridge Joy!


This combination was an accidental discovery alone the journey of the 4 pieces. The two clothes went together so well. This was the first one. The orange patches were too prominent at the start so I wound up splitting a few to 'calm' them down.

This was before quilting. I am now working on making the quilting on this piece more dense. It was too poofy. 
Lower right is quite dense, upper left, poofier.

I had some wonderful graduated dye gradation.  Here are two steps along the way.


Then I did a scrap quilt....

And finally, the backs. In order....
You can see where the denser quilting has been done.

And finally the quilt that came from the coincidence of cloths. For me the fronts and backs are both important.



This has been a great journey.  And now I am wandering off in new directions.


I have no idea how this next endeavor will go, if anywhere.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment