Thursday, March 28, 2013

Textile work -- Revisiting Old Work

As I went to visit friends & relatives, I would find my work hung in their homes. This always is a bit of a jolt to me. I have to reconsider if I still think the work worthy!
...as in worthy of still being up.

So I thought I'd share these glimpses of my past work in order that they reappeared to me. At Ian Trivett's home.....

These first two are collages onto personally-worn-blue-jean-personally-made-paper. The cut images are from art magazines. I had forgotten all about them.  The themes, as I was getting ready to title them, were scientific/mathematical.

Time & Space Revisited                           
Other Kinds of Measures




The quilt I made for Ian's first baby.

I liked that burl that John Trivett found & I took a burr to it & hollowed it out. For many years this bowl held the wonderful driftwood I collected on Long Beach on the edge of Vancouver Island. My 3 girls teethed on these salt-laden driftwood pieces. When John & I separated I gave the bowl to Ian, my eldest stepson. I still like it & I still want to make it thinner!! Too funny!

NO, I didn't do this, nor do I own it, except in my heart.  Under each rhomboid patch is a piece of paper. These patches were whip-stitched together. [You don't need to know what this is!] The paper is removed after the 4 seems around each patch are sewn. This is the classic pattern called Baby's Blocks or Tumbling Blocks.  I saw this wonderful old piece-in-progress in Tori Bryer's studio, &, I might add, coveted it!!

On to my sister's house in Mill Valley.
I gave Annie 3 quilts in all.
The earliest quilt I gave her was a bed quilt.
 
This is yet another mandala from my early quilt-making years. With beads and sequins. I called it  Byzantine Summer Fantasy.

This one's called Australian Motif. The dots were made with the end of a chopstick wet with acrylic paint! I've thought about doing more like this, but it's in the zone of cultural appropriation... not so great a zone! So I never have. I still am fascinated by this art--even the modern stuff.

This is upholstery was on a couch in a motel the last day of travels. I am mad for triangles. 
I love the thinner & thicker sawtooth columns!

I have other examples to show you of my triangle work. This one's very sawtoothy.

This I made in 1998. It's called Red Triangle Quilt   & a very recent one, unnamed yet.

Then there is this one that I shared before.

...and these ones that I made in Maui. 

& this is my favorite Maui triangle quilt.

And here for the finale: this was done in 2010. It has one Very Important Triangle!
I had NO idea were this revisiting chapter would take me, but I love how it fetched up in my triangle fascination.

                                                            That's all for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment