Saturday, May 11, 2013

From OHIO: Color Studies for Surface Design

Monday to Friday this week I was having lessons & sessions with Leslie Morgan who has a textile barn in or near Crawley, in west Sussex. That would be in  England.

It was an intense week of work: I called it measuring, timing & stirring.

I chose to dye in two matrices of gradations. They looked on my sample cloth like this...



My head hurt at first getting into 'mind' of this. Even my math mind didn't always help me.

The 'products' looked like this....

 
Heaven! Lilac smells and oriole, cardinal. & mourning doves came free with the day.

At the end of all the dye runs my accumulated fabric wealth looked astonishing.

It was heavier in reds than I anticipated, but the subtlety of the in-between colors of my matrix ware really interesting.
This is Leslie, our teacher. She did all the charts in the background. She's a wow!

Meanwhile, being on a farm, there were lots of wonderful things to see. I did a few walk-arounds. What a sculpture!!




These rocks were from a canal, made many years ago.

Then two other projects I loved. Years ago I prepared some stitch resist linen cloth in an African style. It was years ago. It was supposed to me indigo-dyed. No indigo opportunity readily presented itself to me. So the piece went into chocolate dye.
I could kick myself that I didn't do a before picture.
Here's the first after.
I love the hairy bits created by sewing the piece before dyeing with dental floss. The floss resists the dye!

 I'm in Ann Arbor with Mary Beecher Price, a classmate from grade 5-9 & we are taking this class together. 
                                               That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment