It was an intense week of work: I called it measuring, timing & stirring.
I chose to dye in two matrices of gradations. They looked on my sample cloth like this...
My head hurt at first getting into 'mind' of this. Even my math mind didn't always help me always.
The 'product' looked like this....
Heaven! Free lilac smells and oriole, cardinal & mourning doves came free with the day.
At the end of all the dye runs my accumulated fabric wealth looked astonishing.
It was heavier in reds than I anticipated, but the subtlety of the in-between colors of my matrix ware really interesting.
This is Leslie, our teacher. She did all the charts in the background. She's a wow!
Meanwhile, being on a farm, there were lots of wonderful things to see. I did a few walk-arounds.
You can see the marks on these stones that might have come from a bridge or a canal. I love the change in gradations of chisel marks.
Then two other projects I loved. Years ago I prepared some stitch resist linen cloth in an African style. It was years ago. It was supposed to me indigo-dyed. No indigo opportunity readily presented itself to me. So the piece went into chocolate dye.
I could kick myself that I didn't do a before picture.
Here's the first after.
I love the hairy bits created by sewing the piece before dyeing with dental floss. The floss resists the dye!
Next, well, you can see where my mind went.
Truly this is So Daphne!
I can't show you the washed out version. I did another 3 tries in other colors of these & I can't wait to do a composition with them.
What a sculpture!!
That's it for now. I'm in Ann Arbor with Mary Beecher Price, a classmate from grade 5-9.