Sunday, February 21, 2016

Textile work -- Doing New Things 2011


I read a book recently called The Happiness Project. It's written by Gretchen Rubin. One of the things she tried, during her year of trying various ways of making herself feel happier, was starting a blog about her project. This was a useful things to do because people who responded to her blog gave her new ideas and content for her book.

I thought this might be a good time to show a batch of my new work. In Maui, this winter, I did a fair number of striped quilts. All but one is quilted up by now. I haven't been a good record-keeper, so some of the images are before quilting. I don't have a good place to photograph here in my small apartment. 
Oh well....

These were the first three & were inspired by Michael James.
      





Russell in Maui helped me quilt these us. He set my quilts up on his huge machine & I "drove" it. 


He has a really big machine. When I operate it I feel like I'm steering a motorcycle. This one is for utility. I cozy with it at home. I quilted it up with Russel. We had to set the quilt up on his machine twice: once for horizontal lines, once for vertical.

This was the last one I did using all the scraps left ov er from all the other striped endeavors. I call this an ice cream quilt-- lots of white & pastel ice cream colors. In my life I have made 3 ice cream quilts in my life!

That's it for now.


 












No comments:

Post a Comment