Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cibola Reunion+Much More

On Friday night when we got to San Cristobal & Fabi Romero's house. Ed Trickett & his wife Dina where staying with Steve White in Taos, and Lucia Murphy was staying at Fabi's. I was the only one in my camper cohort who was going to be in St. Bernard's Hotel up in what we used to call Twining. Twining used to be our starting point for our pack trips on horse.  Now it is a large ski development.

We were 37 strong, old campers from many different years including some spouses. Sandy was our only returning (& alive) counselor. And we has a mix of campers only from 1954, the first year, to 1964 when Cibola ended; a few people who had only gone to Hawthorne School that Sandy & Eorr started in D.C.; but most people at the gathering had done both.

I did have great contacts with my cohorts & Sandy, but I really found the other particpants very interesting to be around.

Here are my cohorts:
                    Steve White                              Ed Trickett                           Fabi Romero
                              
                            Lucia Murphy.                          Sandy Orr                 yours truly

We hung out with each other at the hotel & at Fabi's house in the San Cristobal Valley.
 

Taos Window Shopping

I took many pictures of the land. I have a group I call a sense of place.
 
 A whole outdoor gallery specializing in gas pumps!
wondrous clouds
 

Back at Los Poblanos, the B&B where we started. George & I are about to eat a light supper in the patio courtyard with an eight-pointed-star fountain in blue tile.
And this is my favorite picture from the lotus garden here. 

We are both ready to go home. George has been away from Vancouver since July 22nd, and I've been away only a week, but it has been packed!! In fact, I've been having trouble getting to sleep because of the social stimulation & the visual as well. I was having beauty float before my eyes while I thought I was trying to go to sleep. Impossible!! 

Here's some reason for the why's:
George next to famous ceramic artist from Japan, sorry I 'should' know his name, but I don't right now & I don't want to get it wrong. Can you imagine making something in clay
that large? And it was fired twice. Think about the kiln!
 
 The show is about pattern, organization, African art & contemporary American fiber artists.
                              Another artist whose name I didn't track.Very hairy work.

Below classic African raffia woven cloth. More embarrassment not knowing to tell you more details about which culture makes this kind of cloth.

This woman with the great cloth earrings ran the gallery.

This piece is called The Mexican Tsunami. Each bag is filled with very light insulation. The wall is 10 feet high. It's about transporting drugs. Spectacular.

Other metal work. What, bats?
                                           
a basketry section


                                                       The entry to the gallery.....

There's tons more to say, but I end here. Supper IS on the table!

That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment