Friday, August 19, 2011

Learning to do New Things


I read Gretchen Rubin's popular book, The Happiness Project. She decided having new things in her life was one of the 12 things she would do during her year of the HP. She started a blog during the year, and it was very helpful in adding content and ideas for the whole book.

She was part of my inspiration for doing one myself, but I'm only in Kindergarden, blogwise. I want to bite off just a bit at a time & improve. The instructions are quite complex, so it's very daunting.


I thought this might be a good time to show the stripe-series that I did in Maui. These quilt tops are nearly all quilted up, all by machine. Though my pictures of them are a bit spotting. One of my goals is to find a simple way of photographing my work in the new apartment, now at the beginning of year 3. I've done quite a few in this color zone. Very comfortable, very summer.

               

 This shows the idea of color chords. I was pressing my seams open & in such a way that I was putting a curve into the long rectangle of stripes.
SO.... Wedges were inserted to make things more intentionally straight.



For Erica, with love





I called this lefthand one Separation. I was still grappling with curvature in my pressing techniques. The red one is unnamed. I used striped Madras fabric as the inspiration.
 




Yellow Ladder

                                                                        

 I'm wondering if I am done with this exploration. Maybe, maybe not. I really love working in plain colors. I regret not having a safe & simple place to dye fabric as I had on 15th Avenue, so I could be messing around with my own color concoctions!

                                                                    That's it for today.



1 comment:

  1. Love these! Great Job! Now I want to see you mix it up just a bit more. Vary the width of your strips... incorporate more horozontal stripped pieces... play with balance... play with small ares of complex piecing and larger areas of more serene stuff. I could crack the whip on you all day!

    ReplyDelete