Thursday, November 10, 2011

Finish! Much Depends on This Quilt

I thought I'd finish showing my quilts made in the Much Depends projectMuch Depends on Cotton. The dowels are finished with real cotton bolls. The quilt surface is cotton batting. The white you see around the images & writing is not cloth. It's cotton batting.
This is my artist's statement quilt, spoken from the heart. Maybe sometime I'll write that out for the blog. There are two borders on this piece. The inner border of words lists all the things in my house that support my quilt making, from the coffee pot to CBC radio!
On the outer border is a list of all the things outside the house that support my work from cloth merchants to sewing machine repair people to investors.
I loved making those lists.

Much Depends of Sewing Machines was the only quilt in the series quilted up by machine. At the ends of the dowel for hanging hee quilt are metal sewing machine bobbins. This quilt is intentionally 'hardware grey', as are the quilts for thimbles, scissors, and pins&needles.

This is the quilt about weaving. There are many difference kinds of cloth in it: some loosely woven, some transparent, & so on. The dowels are 'tricked out' with two bobbins of a very different sort-- the ones put in the 'flying shuttles' of early automated factory weaving looms.

That's it for this post. The next post will explain what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment