Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Trip Around the North End of Maui

Yesterday we drove the north loop, around the top, around the headland. I had done it only once before when I was really new to Maui. This time I understood a lot more of what I was seeing. There used to be much more volcano-formed land up there but it eroded & fell into the ocean leaving cliffs & steep hillsides.
 Ash fall layers!

Then there are some distinctly rural so-Maui things.... a close-up of the window...



Too bad, really, no banana bread for sale here.

This small church was in a community that had had many problems last week, during the Big Rain. Their creek rose 12 feet! We bought snacks from a man stopping cars going through this village. He was a great salesman. Too bad I didn't get a photo of him.

 How did THESE get formed? Shot from the volcano like splashy spewing forming rocks in the air? I'm trying to picture it. 

Sometimes you see these ash-rocks in layers of lava.


This ash: I took a chance of it home to test its disolvablity. The water became all milky! That was just like the water in the Toutle River with Mt. St. Helen's ash running  in it.

Here are some more examples of So Maui. We noticed the lack of feral chickens here compared to Kaua'i!

 Friday we leave for Vancouver. 
Wearing coats will be necessary. I anticipate a climate shock. Still, it'll be good to be in that home!
That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. So nice to see--now I can almost feel like I've been there.
    xoxo
    JRT

    ReplyDelete