Friday, June 8, 2012

The Ecstasy of Shapes

The day I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art I saw the Stein Collections. The Stein Collection would be Gertrude & her brother, Leo. This collection was gradually accumulated and dispersed by them, depending on their money needs & availability. The work was never all-in-one-place.

It's one of those one-off historic shows where stuff comes together and goes back to 100 households and museums. Ten years ago during my 40th SLC reunion there was a similar one-off show on European tapestries. After Mr. & Ms. Stein's collection, I went roaming in the Met. I think my favorite place is the great hall of indigenous art.





In my mind this stuff transcends time & place. I am too dazzled to take notes. 




Simple shapes, simple functions, wonderful textures.


Then there's complexity....

This sculpture was maybe  12 feet long with creatures inside it. A marvel of carving. Pigs' heads at both ends.

Then two small items: comb & maybe one & a half inch pendant[?].


Being in the presence of excellence is so excellent!!

                                                                That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment