Friday, June 1, 2012

On the East Coast

 I'm in New York right now, here for my 50th reunion of the class of 1962 at Sarah Lawrence College. Thirty-three of us are gathered.

The day before going up to the college I went to the Museum of Art & Design, which is what the Craft Museum morphed into. One of the shows I saw was about dust & dirt. This gorgeous wallpaper-like pattern was made by silk-screening something sticky onto paper and leaving said paper by an open window to attract pollution & dust from the ambient atmosphere. Pretty nifty!!

Another item was a "quilt" made from papers made from laundry lint!
That day my friend Susie went to the Highliner. It's a park that was built on an old elevated rain line.  It is brilliantly executed. It's sublime being up there. I hope to return again there on Monday with some other friends.




I loved this amphitheater. The "stage" is the street below. How perfect is that? Susan told me people have weddings here. And you, dear reader, don't miss the yellow billboard!!

This park offers all manner of spaciousness and tightness, all manner of architecture. 
A Frank Geary building, I love it.

This is a birdhouse sculpture. See that peculiar box in the lefthand photo? The only birds I could imagine nesting here were starlings & I'm not overly fond of starlings unless they are murmurating.  Or maybe English Sparrows....I started thinking about rats too... No birds would have a chance....
  
                    I totally love the accidentally captured smooching couple!!!



By now you know I love this stuff Cracks between buildings! 

One of so many High Liner gardens. I'm having a lovely time.

That's it for now.








No comments:

Post a Comment