Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Odds & ends from NYC

Make that "discouraged with blogspot" not bloodspot as in the last post.
I am not ailing. I got auto-corrected by blogspot!!!

I am home, comfortable calm familiar home. I enjoyed all the other homes I was in on my trip, but they are stimulating more than calm.

My trip was wonderful. George predicted I would have a ball and I did. My prediction was more of an anxious nature, as I got quite hung up about the connections in my trip, the transitions-going-wrong possibilities. There were many pieces & legs to the journey and I am grateful it went smoothly.

I wanted to share a few themes of the trip. I'll start with some New York/Italian panache high-fashion window.


The extra added window reflections are part of my pleasure. Too funny. Of course I used to be called Daffy. I got so sick of "oh like Daffy Duck?" as a child, I soon switched to Daphne & Daph. 




After seeing ecstatic alphabets it was hard not getting caught up in these silver inflated letters. I also got caught up in the ambiguity made by reflections from the street, please note: THIS is a dress I WANT!

Art photographed would be another category. Robin Tost, a Sarah Lawrence classmate, makes metal quilts, for heaven's sake. They are so special.  

Then Susan Hambleton's swimmers.... also a classmate.

At MoMA, aside from Elsworth Kelly's wall, I have some other things to delight in. I wish I could have photographed the Ecstatic Alphabets show, but there was a photography ban on! AND there was no catalogue either, from which I might have purloined cool images. There were so many language-based ideas in those rooms.... enough to keep my mind busy for a long time. I'd have gone back for RE-viewings in a flash.

This was an interesting exhibit about modern art approaches to the human body.

This one was called Anyone's Self Portrait. I am in the mirror, just arms.

We also saw an industrial design exhibit. It was fascinating too. Below is a leg splint designed by Charles Eames. And fascinating forks!


This is a housing unit deigned to use heat from street vents. It's for people without homes.

And then there was the art in Meridee's apartment. I'm just sharing a bit. Two Calder prints.


This is a sculpture below is by Eli Noyes, Meridee's brother. The Noyes family knew the Calders quite well. Sandy Calder was not happy if he found anyone copying his "look" which actually was very easy to do!  This Eli Noyes sculpture was in the room where I slept. OH my!! So much to feel enriched by!

                                                    That's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment