Monday, October 17, 2011

Projects

Nine years ago my project, Much Depends on This Quilt, was at Craft House on Granville Island.  In a way it was my PhD, the result of research, curiosity, exploration, journaling & complete absorption. Last week I took 4 of the 10 quilts & 2 of the 4 journals to Bellingham & UPSed them to the New England Quilt Museum for consideration for their collection, as a donation. Psychologically this was a momentous move. This project was a lot about the meaning of my life or put another way-- a meaning I gave to my life. I have other threads!






This is one of the quilts I sent: Much Depends on the Quilt-Maker.

I have two blocks from old quilts of mine & five older ones from other people.

The text asks questions about the quilt-makers, like
How much education did she have?
How many languages did she speak?
What time of day did she work?
Did she have electricity?

You get the idea...





This one about thimbles was sent too. I hope you can read some of the questions.

The scissors in this quilt are from my personal collection. Until I went to Italy in 2006 I couldn't find good research sources my project. I certainly & surprisingly couldn't find catalogue books, the way I could for thimbles, for this quilt.


















This one is about dyeing & printing. The swatches  came from my stash. Some were dyed &/or printed by me, some were commercially done, & some were hand-made in other places in the world. The writing tells the story of each swatch.









 









                                 


My next project is to have a show with the number quilts: Oh, Solo, Double, Trio: Numbers in my Life.

                    I am working on submitting a proposal to a few galleries for that.  
                                                                    That's it for today.  

2 comments:

  1. Man oh Man, I was right. blogger really screwed with me.

    Gotta find my way around this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh & it would also be Very Good to fix my proof-reading skills.

    It's resource books ON SCISSORS that were absent!

    ReplyDelete