Thursday, October 20, 2011

Whoooopeeee!

Today I got a proposal for a show together.
Tomorrow I hope to mail off to the Surrey Art Gallery a proposal for a show with my Project called Oh, Solo, Double Trio: Numbers in my Life.
The next day I'll prep the similar proposal for the Richmond Gallery which is due in April. I dasn't mail it in too early. Things can get put in drawers & forgotten if timing isn't right. That happened to me once being too eager.

This proposal has been on my To Do list for quite a while.
I still have 3 quilts to finish, but that's ok. Even with a go-ahead, I'd be given a date a bit off from acceptance time.
And I'll have some time to develop the peripherals to the show that I'd like to do.
I have quite a few number artifacts... that would be fun to have there.



So here's Fingers & Toes, the quilt about the number 10. I made the stampers for this, from my own hands & feet. I even used the off-cut from the first hand stamp to make the negative image for the other hand. Similarly for the feet.

This one starts with the careful knotting of a transparent ribbon -- one of those really nice-edged ones.  If you knot it just so, not too tight & not too loose a magical pentagon will show up, as will most of a pentogram.   [Hold it up to the light.]
This one is for the number 5.                                                                                       Well, it's actually getting too complicated....         but by a few more steps you can construct the famous golden rectangle, and build several more on top of that.                              And if you turn this quilt over I stitched a logarithmic spiral into the back that goes with the quilting on the front, but I have to make it darker, it doesn't show up enough yet.  Maybe you can see a faint spiral arc above my head. 

# 7 below. This one is about all my 07/07 birthdays that I can remember, with various xeroxed photos stitched on to the quilt-top.
For 12 I decided to do a clock face. One of my favorite features of the graphics for the quilt is how clearly 1/2, 1/4, & 3/4 of an hour gets shown. So innocently.
     
That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment